[Rcpp-devel] Install failure undefined symbol

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:29:14 CEST 2020

The most likely cause here is that, even though Rcpp is being compiled
with gcc 9.2.0, an older version of libstdc++ is being found and used
at runtime, and that version of the libstdc++ library doesn't provide
the requested symbol (_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE).

Best guess: LD_LIBRARY_PATH should normally be set as an environment
variable, not a Make variable, so setting this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/share/apps/gcc/9.2.0/lib:/share/apps/gcc/9.2.0/lib64:/opt/openmpi/lib:/share/apps/update/lib:/opt/python/lib

in your Makeconf won't help to ensure that the correct version of
libstdc++ is loaded at runtime.

(It should also be possible to tell gcc to enforce the usage of an
alternate C++ standard library, but I can't recall exactly how that's
done and have thus far failed to re-divine it from a quick skim of the
gcc documentation.)

Best,
Kevin