[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp::exception + threads = disaster

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Sat Feb 8 15:28:34 CET 2020

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 07:56:40AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> See several (extended) discussions at GitHub around the issues that
> changed and improved exception handling and stack traces. A fair
> amount of very nice work made Rcpp more robust here.
>
> In short, it not a trivial issue.

That's it? That's the end of discussion?

I would like to know specifically why Rcpp::stop cannot be
thread-safe. Of all the APIs you provide, thread-safety is
particularly important for exceptions. When something goes wrong,
programmers shouldn't have to guess what is going on.

--
Joshua N. Pritikin, Ph.D.
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics