[Rcpp-devel] Misc news, some bigger than others

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 25 01:11:03 CEST 2020

Some miscellaneous news (of which the first two got tweeted):

 - Rcpp now has over 1000 citations on Google Scholar (for the JSS piece from
   2011). Big thank you to everybody who cited it, this is much appreciated!
   And as always a big thank you to everybody who contributed code, tests,
   documentation or suggestions.

 - Rcpp is now used by just over 50% of all (compiled) packages on CRAN! This
   corresponds to just under 1/8th of all packages. Genuinely amazing! [1]

 - The infatiable Conrad has released a new version of Armadillo today; I
   actually ran full reverse depends checks on the two rc builds he had of
   Armadillo and we squashed one bug that way.  Version 0.9.870.2.0 of
   RcppArmadillo is in incoming at CRAN but they presumably have their hands
   full anyway.  You will also find it in the usual drat repo within the
   RcppCore organization.

 - Similarly, Rcpp is at version 1.0.4.8 in the drat with the last update a
   week ago.  Testing is always appreciated.

Cheers, Dirk

[1] (There is / was some double-counting going on. If you use the standard
    function 'tools::CRAN_package_db()' then doubles, and right before a
    release as in the last few weeks, triples occur for recommended packages,
    and just a handful of others (where, I presume, CRAN hand-patches for
    upcoming releases). I didn't use to prune the dupes out (biasing the
    count up and the Rcpp percentage down), and as we were about to cross 50%
    CRAN added more dupes (just prior to 4.0.0) reducing the percentage down
    and delaying the crossing. That reversed today, and as of today I will
    also remove dupes. So there it is. One in two compiled CRAN packages.)

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org