[Rcpp-devel] [ANN] New release RcppArmadillo 0.9.860.1.0 on drat

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 1 15:44:01 CEST 2020

On 30 March 2020 at 14:20, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| Conrad released a new Armadillo version for which we had prepared and tested a
| pre-release.  The new version is at CRAN -- but CRAN, presumably busy enough
| with the upcoming R 4.0.0 release and the new toolchain for Windows -- broke
| the Windows build which no longer contains some of the (complex valued)
| LAPACK function some of the Armadillo code needs. You can see that here too:
|
|   https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-windows-ix86+x86_64-gcc8/RcppArmadillo-00check.html
|
| Only CRAN can fix this, but I have no insight into how long it may take.

Jeroen was eagle-eyed and connected dots between the Rcpp issue #1061 filed
by Kevin (for something seen with RcppParallel) and fixed in #1062 by Kevin.
The PKG_LIBS variable can now (under R 4.0.0) be passed along 'empty' which
upsets link instructions, at least on R 4.0.0 with gcc8.  So not an R issue
per se (though triggered by changes there) but more of an issue in Rcpp which
we fixed.

The RcppArmadillo version in the drat does install fine on all platforms
apart form R-4.0.0-gcc8.

Once the dust settles and it also builds in R-4.0.0-gcc8 we should be able to
get it to CRAN as well.

Dirk