[Rcpp-devel] Debugging Rcpp for Solaris

Iñaki Ucar iucar at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 9 15:56:34 CET 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 15:04, mike guggis <mikeguggis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I submitted a package to CRAN that passed all checks in RStudio but failed when it was tested on Solaris (after it was on CRAN). Now I need to correct the error and resubmit to CRAN. I would like to avoid using CRAN as a debugging tool. Is there a way to check packages on Solaris? I am using Windows 10.
>
> The packages checks are here https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_BiProbitPartial.html
>
> An excerpt of the error is below
>
> BiProbitPartialMCMC.cpp:424:49: error: call of overloaded ‘log(bool)’ is ambiguous
>          double SupportRatio = log(abs(rhoStar)<1) - log(abs(rho)<1);
>                                                  ^
>
> There is a similar error for the second log function. It seems I can simply fix it with an if/else statement, but I would like to check it before submitting back to CRAN.

I had a bug once only arising in Solaris SPARC. I found a forgotten
storage room in the university packed with old stuff, and rescued a
dusty Sun SPARC server. A professor allowed me to attach it in the
department's server room and, surprisingly enough, it worked except
for a fan. Then I installed all the stuff needed with great pain, and
finally found and solved the bug. In fact, it was in Rcpp. So go
figure, I was very sad when the SPARC machine on CRAN died.

But I digress. Now there's just the x86 Solaris machine, so you can
test this in a virtual machine, using e.g. VirtualBox. Or you can try
the Solaris box on rhub:

https://builder.r-hub.io/advanced

Iñaki