[Rcpp-devel] Question on performance

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 23 15:59:22 CEST 2018

On 23 September 2018 at 08:29, Kyle Baron wrote:
| It didn't change anything in my testing.  I wondered about wrapping the
| whole thing too ... but maybe that's premature?   I can't tell were the
| slow-down is.
|
| My ratio is around 2.4 or 2.5 with this:
|
| https://github.com/jesusfv/Comparison-Programming-Languages-Economics/compare/master...kylebmetrum:master

I think it is worth poking around.  Ie for C++ (either original or MattPD
version) just takes the clock at beginning and end.  _Arguably we could do
the same inside the Rcpp call_ as he assumes away startup cost of the binary
etc pp.

Anything that leaves a whole factor on the table does something weird.  Maybe
we can learn something, maybe something odd is going on.  But we should be
ball-park comparable to other _compiled code_ examples.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org