[Rcpp-devel] Expose cpp class with built-in boost odeint to R

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at daqana.com
Fri Sep 14 10:05:06 CEST 2018

On 14.09.2018 05:17, Simon Woodward wrote:
> I am developing a simulation model in C++ and I want to expose it to R for testing. The model is in a C++ class and uses the boost::odeint library for numerical integration. I am also using an unordered_map to expose the model variables to the user.
> I am having some trouble exposing the class functionality to C++, either as separate // [[Rcpp::export]] methods or using RCPP_MODULE. The following code successfully instantiates the model and returns the unordered_map but crashes Rcpp if I try to access the advance(t,dt) method.

What do you mean with "crashes Rcpp"? On my system it mearly gives a
compiler error:

/usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_iterator_base_funcs.h: In instantiation of
‘void std::advance(_InputIterator&, _Distance) [with _InputIterator =
Rcpp::InputParameter<double>; _Distance = Rcpp::InputParameter<double>]’:

> # sample code embedded in an R script

With the given ratio of C++ to R code it would have been better to use a
C++ file with R code embedded via /*** R ... */.

> library(Rcpp)
>
> Sys.setenv("PKG_CXXFLAGS"='-I"C:/boost/boost_1_66_0"')

The BH package can help with that:

  // [[Rcpp::depends(BH)]]

> sourceCpp(code='
>           #include <unordered_map>
>           #include <string>
>           #define BOOST_CONFIG_SUPPRESS_OUTDATED_MESSAGE
>           #include <boost/numeric/odeint.hpp>
>           #include <Rcpp.h>
>
>           // Enable C++11 via this plugin (Rcpp 0.10.3 or later)
>           // [[Rcpp::plugins(cpp11)]]
>
>           using namespace std;

The above quoted error message indicates that your advance method and
std::advance are getting mixed up. Remove this "using namespace std;"
and handle to resulting errors by using "std::" or "using std::...;".

BTW, for larger pieces of code I would also get rid of "using namespace
Rcpp;".

cheerio
ralf

--
Ralf Stubner
Senior Software Engineer / Trainer

daqana GmbH
Dortustraße 48
14467 Potsdam

T: +49 331 23 61 93 11
F: +49 331 23 61 93 90
M: +49 162 20 91 196
Mail: ralf.stubner at daqana.com

Sitz: Potsdam
Register: AG Potsdam HRB 27966 P
Ust.-IdNr.: DE300072622
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Dr. Karl-Kuno Kunze