[Rcpp-devel] Request for an update of BH

Jordi Molins jordi.molins.coronado at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:19:11 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to use eigen and boost at the same time, in R (Windows). The
reason is that eigen allows now data types such as float128.

What happens is that this link between eigen and boost is new (boost 1.68).
I believe BH uses boost 1.66.

I received an answer in stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52871038/using-boost-multiprecision-with-rcppeigen/52887046?noredirect=1#comment92801003_52887046

of how to install boost 1.68 without needing BH. I have tried to implement
that solution, but it does not work: I get an error message such as
"c:/rtools/mingw_64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/8.1.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot find -lgfortran collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status". And
now I do not know how to solve this "cannot find -lgfortran" issue (note:
this could be entangled with the fact that I substituted the gcc 4.9
compiler in Rtools for gcc 8.1, since I could not compile a single
sourceCpp with gcc 4.9, but yes with gcc 8.1; I can perfectly compile Rcpp
projects, though).

So, I would like to kindly ask if BH could be updated to boost 1.68. I
understand that updating BH must be a big work, and we all have many things
to do. But I see usually BH is updated twice per year, and this year there
has been one update so far. Also, the union of BH and eigen is possibly a
source of happiness for this community, since AFAIK, so far BH and eigen
were completely separated.

Of course, if this request cannot be executed, I am happy too. I am just
asking in case somebody could do it without too much work, and in fact, he
was thinking in doing it anyway.

Best regards

Jordi Molins i Coronado
+34 69 38 000 59