[Rcpp-devel] Fwd: Installing Rcpp and working a compilation with C++

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Nov 1 03:18:03 CET 2018

On 31 October 2018 at 21:42, Benjamin S. Levy wrote:
| In regard to my prior enquiry, I restored the ‘trusty’ to ‘bionic’ items in the sources.list; thank you for that tip.  Also, the [B artifact in my prior post was just from a carriage return between systems.  I have the location of the Rccp/include and .//libs per Listing 2.1, and am evidently still missing connection.  I spent some time with a Linux expert today, and he could not find the issue.  If there is a more recent link (I think it was cited), for help, I should be obliged.

As I mentioned to you yesterday:

 - read the Rcpp Introduction vignette
 - if you can, also read the Rcpp Attributes vignette

As a litmus test, do one call to Rcpp::evalCpp() such as this:

  R> Rcpp::evalCpp("2 + 2")
  [1] 4

After a second or two, 4 should appear as the answer. It will have come from
a new subroutine R and Rcpp just compiled for you.

So if it does, your toolchain works. Linux is in my opinion also the easiest
system to get this working as you generally have a working compiler
already. Both windows and macOS need extra work to make R use a matching
compiler.

But if it doesn't, consult the Rcpp FAQ vignette and other R documentation
resources.  How to make compilation work with R is needed for Rcpp, but _not_
specific to Rcpp -- it is the same for _any_ R package involving compilation.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org