[Rcpp-devel] using SparseSuite and RcppEigen in package

Yixuan Qiu yixuan.qiu at cos.name
Wed Jan 17 13:50:13 CET 2018

RSpectra does not use CHOLMOD, so probably it is not helpful here.

I would suggest that you build CHOLMOD as an external library with
headers, and then directly link Eigen and your code to the external
CHOLMOD, ignoring the one shipped with Matrix. It is just like all
other R packages that require external libraries.

Best,
Yixuan

> On 17 January 2018 at 13:10, Simon Barthelmé wrote:
> | I'm trying to use some CHOLMOD functionality inside an R package
> | (specifically, sparse Cholesky updates/downdates). There's an
> | CHOLMOD/Eigen interface for that, but unfortunately the header I need is
> | not shipped as part of either the Matrix package or the Rcpp package.
> | The file is cholmod_modify.h, and it does appear in the src/ directory
> | of the Matrix package, but not in the include/ directory.
> |
> | If I include it by hand I risk version conflicts, because the rest of
> | CHOLMOD is provided by the Matrix package via RcppEigen. What's the
> | clean way of handling that? Thanks for your input!
>
> I know "some" (eg rstan) have completemented the BH package with local
> headers when BH was missing what they needed (as BH grew, I think we by now
> added all they need).  So you could just do that, being careful to stick with
> the same version.
>
> Or would Yixuan's RSpectra help?  https://cran.r-project.org/package=RSpectra
>
> Dirk

Yixuan Qiu <yixuan.qiu at cos.name>