[Rcpp-devel] [RcppParallel] Segfault but only on TravisCI

Alexis Sarda alexis.sarda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 21:02:40 CET 2018

Hello,

I am integrating RcppParallel into my R package and I'm running into
strange problems with segmentation faults, but only during the continuous
integration checks. I have essentially variations of the following (I hope
GitHub gist links are ok):

https://gist.github.com/asardaes/7d78af394f848a967997ff23e433c9cf

On TravisCI, my Linux builds simply freeze, and the OSX builds show
messages like:

*** caught segfault ***
address 0x100000001, cause 'memory not mapped'

I would assume that my distance functions are trying to access memory they
shouldn't, but during interactive use everything works flawlessly, and I've
tested all of the following with no problems (which also test correctness,
i.e. numeric consistency with respect to past results):

- Local Linux R CMD check
- Local Windows R CMD check
- CRAN's WinBuilder check
- AppVeyor (x32 and x64 Windows)
- Docker R CMD check using rocker's r-devel-san
- Local Linux R CMD check with valgrind (no leaks)

It is worth mentioning that some of the examples ran during the OSX build
show incorrect results long before the segfault occurs: some results are
zero when they shouldn't be. I don't have access to a machine with OSX, but
the Linux builds in TravisCI also show problems (no segfaults explicitly,
just hangs).

I am at my wit's end. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alexis.