[Rcpp-devel] I'm having trouble installing packages that seem to be related to segfault with Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 18 18:22:30 CEST 2018

On 18 April 2018 at 15:14, Shepherd, Lori wrote:

| I updated my g++ and gcc versions and installed the appropriate  libgfortran -
|
| when I tried to overwrite packages / reinstall -  it still had ERRORs
|
| if I completed destroyed my local library and started from scratch the segfaults disappeared.
|

| seems like a drastic work around but I'll take working installs right now.

It sounds absurd but ... you too will find it perfectly normal once you have
done it a few times :)

Seriously: this can (and does) happen with binary interfaces.  On Windows,
CRAN rebuilds _every_ dependencies whenever a package changes.  We do get by
with something more robust on macOS / Linux most of the time. But not always.

And some R version changes actually mandate it for packages with src/
directories. R 3.5.0 is one of them.  So it was not "your fault" or "bloody
Rcpp's fault" but quite possibly simply par for the course.

And you're up and running now so all is good.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org