[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp package linking to C++ library that depends on Qt5 core

info at mycontent.gr info at mycontent.gr
Mon Mar 27 19:18:48 CEST 2017

Dear members of the Rcpp-devel list,

I would like to ask for your help with the following problem. I am
trying to use Rcpp to expose the functionality of a C++ library to R.
The C++ library is open source, but it depends on Qt (version 5,
preferably 5.8). It makes good use of Qt Core functionality, and
therefore needs to be linked against QtCore, QtXML and the Qt database
plugins. The GUI functionality of Qt is not used at all (the library is
part of a bigger project, all built on Qt).

Although I've searched for packages in a similar situation, I can't find
how to do this in a proper, cross-platform way. I could tweak with the
Makevars files to make it run on my machine, but this will not allow me
to distribute a package.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of dependency for
an R package. Could you please point me in the right direction? (e.g.
another open source package for R that includes C++ code that depends on
Qt 5 core libraries). Do you think it would be possible to find a
solution that would allow me to host the package on CRAN?

Apologies if this is not the correct mailing list for this question.
Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,

George Christodoulides