[Rcpp-devel] Large size of libs directory on some systems

Dean Bodenham deanbodenhambsse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:22:40 CET 2016

Dear Dirk,

Thank you very much for your detailed replies!

The Ubuntu system does indeed seem to be using the -g flag. I did try a
local compile/installation with the ~/.R/Makevars file you suggested, but
couldn't quite get it to work - I get warnings "linking not done" for the
.o files, and then an error that the "ffstream.so" file is not found.

But, even if it did work locally, then, as you say, relying on a Makevars
file could lead to issues later when trying to get the package onto CRAN (I
have encountered difficulties with this approach previously).

Perhaps I will leave the package as it is for the moment, but it is very
good to know the reason why the libs directory is (sometimes) so large.

Thank you again for your help, and I will watch out for any future
announcements about this issue.

Best regards,
Dean