[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp11 being checked by Travis CI with minimal example

Richel Bilderbeek richel at richelbilderbeek.nl
Wed Mar 16 19:25:58 CET 2016

I am working on a minimal example of using Rcpp11 and Travis CI, which I keep at this GiHub: <https://github.com/richelbilderbeek/travis_qmake_gcc_cpp11_rcpp> . It has one function that is labeled 'noexcept', thus C++11.

I can compile and run the C++11 code from a Qt Creator project file (called 'domagic.pro'),
I can successfully create the 'domagic' package that uses an R function to call the C++11 function.

Because Travis CI does not automate multiple languages yet, I want it to check the R package automatically. I got this working for C++98 (at this GitHub: <https://github.com/richelbilderbeek/travis_qmake_gcc_cpp98_rcpp> ).

For C++11 there is one extra step: one has to run the following line in RStudio (a tip from Dirk Edelbuettel):
Sys.setenv("PKG_CXXFLAGS"="-std=c++11")
When I then run 'devtools::check()' on the package, everything works without notes/warnings/errors.

But how to let Travis CI do the same? I tried to add it to the .travis.yml, but this was more guessing than first reading how to do so. Also adding 'Rcpp11' to the package DESCRIPTION, adding [[Rcpp11::export]] or [[export]] to the C++11 function documentation are ideas that I have tried in multiple random ways.

Can it be done? Are there suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Richel Bilderbeek