[Rcpp-devel] symmatu does not give symmetric matrix

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 27 15:44:40 CEST 2016

First, this is not a good way of constructing a matrix to test the Cholesky
decomposition because the result is rank-deficient. It is a 2 by 2 matrix
of rank 1.  In fact it is the very definition of a rank-1 matrix - a column
vector multiplied by its transpose.

I am surprised at the result because I can't think of a way in computer
arithmetic that the off-diagonals would be different.  They should both be

prod(x)

The dput function will print the values out to full precision so try

dput(prod(x))
dput(x %*% t(x))

to see the full precision results.

Thirdly, R has two functions, crossprod and tcrossprod, to compute X'X and
XX', respectively.  They compute one triangle of the result and copy it
into the other, so the result is guaranteed to be symmetric. Try

dput(tcrossprod(x))

Finally, what are you going to do with the Cholesky decomposition?  If you
are doing this simply to get the decomposition, compiling C++ code, even
with all the help provided by Rcpp, is doing things the hard way. Just use
the chol function in R or the cholesky decomposition in the Matrix package
if you want more control.