[Rcpp-devel] lighter source package

Baptiste Auguie baptiste.auguie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:18:15 CET 2016

Dear Rcpp gurus,

In the process of updating my planar package <
https://github.com/baptiste/planar>, CRAN has mentioned their concern with
the size of the source package (20Mb compressed tar.gz). This puzzled me
until I found the culprit: a 40Mb header file <
https://github.com/baptiste/planar/blob/master/src/clencurt.h> with 500k
pre-calculated quadrature points.
I'm thinking that the easiest strategy is probably to compress these data
into binary form, say as a Rdata file in inst/, and have the Makefile do
some magic to recover it during the package compilation. I'm not sure how
to achieve this, or if it even makes sense. Any example of a similar
procedure I could follow?

Thanks,

baptiste