[Rcpp-devel] Can not install Rcpp on Mac OS X 10.9.5

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed May 6 10:13:41 CEST 2015

Steve Lianoglou <lianoglou.steve at gene.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Steve Lianoglou
>> <lianoglou.steve at gene.com> wrote:
>>> Following the instructions here worked for me:
>>>
>>> http://www.thecoatlessprofessor.com/programming/rcpp-rcpparmadillo-and-os-x-mavericks-lgfortran-and-lquadmath-error
>>>
>>> Although the instructions have a slight typo in them, and probably should read:
>>>
>>>   curl -O http://r.research.att.com/libs/gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13.tar.bz2
>>>   sudo tar fvxz gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13.tar.bz2 -C /
>>>
>>> I should note that I was having different problems than what you
>>> report, though, but try that.
>>
>> Nothing has been fixed.
>
> On second thought, I'm not sure why I thought to suggest that other
> than you'll probably need it later (ie. if you want to compile
> RcppArmadillo, which is what tripped me up) -- Rcpp doesn't require a
> "working" fortran compiler, I'd imagine ;-)
>
>> I have macports installed.Could it be the problem?
>
> Maybe?
>
> You didn't happen to install an updated gcc from macports, did you?

My *guess* is that it has to do, as you point out, a problem of
different compilers and mixed installations from binaries (R) and from
source, i.e. using different compilers and compiler versions.

I had similar troubles until I removed all remnants of the binary
installation of R and installed everything via homebrew (no experience
with MacPorts).

But then (just a guess), as far I understand MacPorts, they provide
binaries, and they not necessarily correspond to the same compilers you
have installed?

If this is really causing the problem, I guess you have to install
everything from source, which you ca do using homebrew.

Cheers,

Rainer

> What's the output of:
>
>   $ which g++