[Rcpp-devel] How to elevate privilege from within Rcpp?

Bhaskar V. Karambelkar bhaskarvk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 20:48:30 CET 2015

I need to call a 3rd party library function with root privileges.
I'm not sure how to accomplish this from within Rcpp.

If I was writing an executable, I could call seteuid to elevate privileges
before calling the external function, and set the suid bit on the
executable.
But given that this needs to be done from within a Rcpp Library, I'm not
sure how to do this. The last thing I want to do is run R as root or set
suid on the R binary.

Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Bhaskar