[Rcpp-devel] Specify Rcpp header location in Makevars

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 29 21:16:33 CEST 2015

On 29 July 2015 at 17:19, jsmith5889 at yahoo.com wrote:
| Is there a way to automatically specify the location of the Rcpp include
| directory (for Rcpp.h) in Makevars?

As Romain said, add "LinkingTo: Rcpp" to your DESCRIPTION.

| In my Makevars, I use the following compile command:
|
| %.o: %.cpp $(cpp_sources)
| 	$(CXX) $(PKG_CXXFLAGS) $<

This is generally not a good idea. The advise in "Writing R Extensions" is
not as clear-cut on this as it might be but there were e.g. some comments by
Simon on this list (or maybe r-devel).  In general, you want your Makevars to
be as minimal as possibly as these implicit rules __already__ come in via the
core Makefile parts provided by R.  You are more likely to do harm than good
here (and yes, I got burned too in the past).

| I also specified "Imports: Rcpp" in DESCRIPTION, but it does not appear
| to automatically add the right flags to the compile command.
|
| I am looking for something that could work similarly to Rscript -e
| "Rcpp:::LdFlags()", which used to export the Rcpp library flags.
|
| Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

The best best may be to start with Rcpp.package.skeleton() and see what it
creates.

Cheers, Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org