[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp modules and S3 dispatch on rbind/cbind

Louis Aslett aslett at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 16:00:47 CET 2015

Sorry hit send prematurely ....

Just for the list record I think I've figured this out.  It turns out
that there is an S4 approach to this now, whereby one actually sets
appropriate methods for the rbind2 and cbind2 functions in the methods
package and then call:

methods:::bind_activation(on = TRUE)

This then recursively calls rbind2 and cbind2 with pairs of arguments
whenever the base rbind/cbind are called with S4 arguments matching
the signature.  Of course, it means all the other functions such as
nrow/ncol/rownames/... must be overridden too for the classes used, in
order that the knitting together that the methods package does will
work correctly.  See the rbind.R source file in the methods package
for details.

Hope that helps if anyone encounters this in future,

Louis