[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp Attributes vs Rcpp Modules

Fg Nu fgnu32 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:52:37 CET 2015

I recently asked a question about Rcpp Attributes subsuming the
functionality of the inline package here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27744383/is-the-inline-package-redundant-yet-for-rcpp
Dirk confirmed that Rcpp Attributes are fully functional vis-a-vis the
inline package.

As a follow on question, I wanted to know when, if ever, Rcpp
Attributes can fully replace the use of Rcpp Modules. I am aware that
Rcpp Attributes can be used to export standalone functions, but as
mentioned in the Rcpp Modules vignette
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rcpp/vignettes/Rcpp-modules.pdf):

"[...] but read on for Rcpp modules which contains to provide features
not covered by Rcpp attributes, particularly when it comes to binding
entire C++ classes and more."

it cannot export entire class definitions. Is this planned
functionality? What are the challenges to implementing this using
Attributes? What are some of the other things that Modules can do that
Attributes cannot?

Thanks.