[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp.package.skeleton load fails on Debian with Rcpp 0.12.0, seems OK with Rcpp 0.12.0.2

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 26 03:36:01 CEST 2015

On 26 August 2015 at 01:24, Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I noticed that the output of Rcpp.package.skeleton fails with Rcpp 0.12.0 on CRAN if using module=TRUE, at least on a debian box. Installing Rcpp from the source on github, using devtools::install_github, solves the issue.

Yes -- that is likely a known bug which R 3.2.2 tickles as it deals now
differently with multiple modules definitions under the same name.  We happen
to have multiple modules named 'World' and that bites.

Try the current GitHub version which disabled one test -- see its commit here
  https://github.com/RcppCore/Rcpp/commit/d9db8dec96ef06b6404e9167042c4fe107ed650a
which is a crude stop-gap measure.

I am right now working on disambiguating the Modules names -- which after
email discussions with several R Core members has been suggested as the best
approach.

| Repro info:
|
| > library(Rcpp)  # 0.12.0
| > Rcpp.package.skeleton(name = "test", force = TRUE, example_code = TRUE, attributes = TRUE, module = TRUE)
|
| $ R CMD check test
|
| * checking whether package ‘test’ can be installed ...*** Error in `/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R': free(): invalid pointer: 0x0000000002aad848 ***
|  ERROR
| Installation failed.

Yup. I privately reported these seg.faults to several R Core members too.
The "cause" is a recent change in R which came out in R 3.2.2, but it appears
to (now) be tickled by something we do so I am changing that.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Dirk