[Rcpp-devel] Package code industry request

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:38:18 CEST 2015

Hi Soeren,

If you distribute the package under GPL-2, it gives the company as many
freedoms as any other user of the package (freedom to study the code, to
modify the code etc.) and I think that is a good thing (it is part of the
definition of free [as in free speech] software).

I have obviously no clue on this specific case or on the intentions of the
company, but the fact that a company is interested to use your package
seems good news a priori and I have seen numerous occasions where users
inside companies were able to identify bugs, suggest improvements, sponsor
further development etc.

HTH,
Tobias