[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp built with the visual c++ compiler - possible uses

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 8 15:09:33 CEST 2015

On 8 April 2015 at 12:34, Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au wrote:
| pointers, to avoid being bound to one C++ compiler for all R packages

But you're not: We happily support g++, clang, the Intel compiler and
(somewhat relunctantly) SunPro; see inst/include/Rcpp/platform/compiler.h

I personally have no interest whatsoever in stretching our codebase for a
compiler and system which has treated POSIX as an afterthought for decades.
So I have my view on who has to change --- and with that I gratefully
acknowledge that the change is happening in some places (eg MSFT help on
RcppParallel support for Intel TBB in Windows).

So if you were to write a blog post or tutorial about how to constrain a code
base to use only C in the interface to make life with VC++ possible, I'd
welcome a link to such a post.  But this is the list for Rcpp, and we support
the compilers supported by the R Project.  That list does not include VC++.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org