[Rcpp-devel] only LinkingTo: RcppEigen gives compileAttributes warning

Dr Gregory Jefferis jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 11:42:30 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have package that depends on Rcpp(Eigen). Originally I imported and
linked to Rcpp and RcppEigen. However sending the package to the
winbuilder server, r-devel complains that I only need to link to
RcppEigen:

* checking package dependencies ... NOTE
Package in Depends/Imports which should probably only be in LinkingTo:
'RcppEigen'

But removing RcppEigen from the Imports field gives me the Rcpp warning:

Warning message:
The following packages are referenced using Rcpp::depends attributes
however are not listed in the Depends, Imports orLinkingTo fields of the
package DESCRIPTION file: RcppEigen

Now I would certainly choose an Rcpp warning over a CRAN note any day of
the week, but is this actually an issue? Furthermore it seems to me that
the compileAttributes warning is spurious – RcppEigen **is** listed in
LinkingTo.

I have seen this question on the mailing list:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.rcpp/7181

where the same warning was a side issue and dismissed as irrelevant and
harmless. In any case, clarification would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Greg.

PS Code here:

https://github.com/jefferis/nabor/commit/5c3289c77e0335599ef5668344484d1b4029ed7f