[Rcpp-devel] [OT] Asking for a quick OS X favour

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 11 19:05:59 CEST 2014

On 11 May 2014 at 09:41, Hao Ye wrote:
|     So why does the directory   /usr/include/hiredis   get omitted on OS X?
|

| I think this might be a general quirk on OS X. I recall having to manually set
| the "-I/usr/local/include" flag for any compilations that need local libraries.

The quirk is that actually __breaks__ a lot of code on the Intertubes. I did
a sporadic check finding things the python hiredis binding and rsyslog
logging framework all of which can build with hireds --- and of which have

        #include <hiredis/hiredis.h>

which the OS X install just broke. How lovely.

Dirk

| Best,
| --
| Hao Ye
| hye at ucsd.edu
|

| On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     Hi Hao,
|
|     Thanks for the quick reply.
|
|     On 11 May 2014 at 09:00, Hao Ye wrote:
|     | Hi Dirk,
|     |
|     | Did [2], then [1]. No build errors, but I get the following warnings:
|     |
|     | > checking hiredis/hiredis.h usability... configure: WARNING: Hiredis
|     headers not found with via default CXXFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
|     | > configure: WARNING: manually trying /usr/local/include
|     | > configure: WARNING: Unsetting ac_cv_header_hiredis_hiredis_h
|
|     Ok, when I do 'make install' (or, in this case, make -n install) with
|     hiredis
|     I get (showing the relevant two out of maybe twelve lines)
|
|     mkdir -p /usr/local/include/hiredis /usr/local/lib
|     cp -a hiredis.h async.h adapters /usr/local/include/hiredis
|
|     which is congruent with hiredis' Makefile which has
|
|     # Installation related variables and target
|     PREFIX?=/usr/local
|     INSTALL_INCLUDE_PATH= $(PREFIX)/include/hiredis
|
|     So why does the directory   /usr/include/hiredis   get omitted on OS X?
|
|     Dirk
|

|     | OS X 10.9.2
|     | compiler: Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40)
|     | R: 3.0.2
|     |
|     | Best,
|     | --