[Rcpp-devel] routine registration

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jun 26 00:39:17 CEST 2014

Hi Ramon,

On 25 June 2014 at 21:11, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

| Dear All,
|
| Does it make sense to use C routine registration
| (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Registering-native-routines)
| in a package that has C++ code and uses Rcpp? What are the pros and cons?

I do in two cases:

 - RcppRedis uses (C language) code from the (small, mine) RApiSerialize package
 - RcppXts uses (C language) code from the (larger, not mine, they let me
   commit though) xts package

Registration is nice because it avoid explicit linking, and R handles this
effectively for you.

| All of my code is C++. Writing the relevant code for routine registration
| is not hard (it is actually automagic if one uses
| https://github.com/kevinushey/Kmisc/blob/master/R/registerFunctions.R). But
| I wonder if it really makes sense to do this.

I need to look at that too, and maybe cook up an example with Kevin. I
basically followed non-Rcpp, non-C++ packages just trying to get C code in.

Cheers from DSC,  Dirk