[Rcpp-devel] Resurrecting rinside_sample9.cpp ?

Christian Authmann authmanc at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Wed Jul 23 14:41:29 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to run user provided R scripts from within my C++
applications using RInside. I have a large amount of data (larger than
RAM) the R script can potentially access, so it's impossible to provide
it all in a variable - I'd need to provide a callback so the R script
can request the data it needs.

The idea is to have a function similar to sample9 (minus the bug[1])

Rcpp::NumericVector getdata(int id) {
	Rcpp::NumericVector vec();
	// ...
	return vec;
}

and make it available like:

RInside R;
R["getdata"] = Rcpp::InternalFunction( &getdata );

As hinted in sample9, Rcpp::InternalFunction apparently really is
broken. Instantiating it gives compiler errors very similar to those
everyone got in Rcpp 0.11.0. [2]

I've updated both Rcpp and RInside to the latest release version, but
the errors remain.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature fundamentally broken? Is
there anything I can do to fix it?

Or are there other ways to add a function to the R script's environment?
I've read of plenty of ways using Rcpp, but those only seem to apply
when developing R packages. I could provide an R package, include it
from the RInside script and thus have a custom function; but the R
package would be separate from my application and wouldn't have access
to the data it needs to provide.

Or should I just install older RInside/Rcpp packages where it still
compiled, and work with those for now?

[1] return result.c_str(); returns a dangling pointer, since result is
destroyed before returning.
[2] according to
http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/rcpp-devel/2014-March/007290.html

--