[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp, Windows and CMake

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 29 18:08:13 CET 2014

On 29 January 2014 at 11:42, Jamie Olson wrote:
| Three more things:
|
| 1) Is the WIN.readme.txt in examples/eigen/cmake incorrect, then?

What part?

Setting the CYGWIN env var is to just shut a noisy warning from Rtools
off. It does not suggest you should use Cygwin.

The rest seems correct to me.

| 2)  The Rtools documentation specifies that the Rtools paths should
| come BEFORE cygwin paths.  Is there a similar rule for MSys?

MSys is not needed, it is just for you convenience. But yes, I place its part
before Cygwin too.

| 3) Should I continue to just used the MinGW installed with Rtools or
| should I/can I use a fresh install of MinGW?

As it stated repeatedly in several places, use the same compiler that R was
built on for Windows to build your add-ons such as Rcpp or RInside code.

If you know what you're doing you can swap other compilers.  One guys
apparently happily plugged in a newer MinGW:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21355022/how-to-use-rcpp-with-tdm-gcc-4-8-1/
I would not recommend that you start there.

Keep it simple. Follow the documentation. Things tend to work if you do.
Once you know the ropes, do whatever :)