[Rcpp-devel] RcppMLPACK ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jan 20 15:42:08 CET 2014

Damian,

On 20 January 2014 at 20:12, Damian Lyons wrote:
| Dear Rcpp developers,
|
| Firstly, many thanks for your work on Rcpp.  It has saved me countless hours
| (or is that months?) of simulation time.
|
| I'm a big fan of RcppArmadillo and Armadillo.  Recently I came across MLPACK,
| which is a large and useful C++ machine learning library that uses Armadillo:
| http://mlpack.org

Sure. I am in somewhat regular contact with Ryan Curtin, its lead developer,
because of our joint interactions with Conrad and his priceless Armadillo
library.  But Ryan is a grad student, and we while we have talked about R
binding (meaning the real thing and not just some SWIG interfaces), he is not
exactly overflowing with free time. Neither am I.

| If you have the time to do so, I humbly request for an official RcppMLPACK
| package.  I believe other people will also find it useful.  I'm currently
| copying and pasting code out of MLPACK into my own package, but this is not the
| most friendly solution.

This makes YOU the perfect candidate to start a project NOW as YOU need IT.
And YOU have already worked with both pieces.

None of our projects became what they are overnight. You have to start
somewhere.  Do it right, do it in the open, and if you do that and have some
luck maybe others will join and help.