[Rcpp-devel] Undefined Reference to typeinfo for Rcpp::RObject for Rdisop on Mac after Rcpp/RcppClassic update

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 7 09:11:57 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dirk Eddelbuettel" <edd at debian.org>

What do you mean by "that"?

> But I work on Linux and I can assure you that you need to rebuild.

I never doubted you on this. What I'm saying is that for people who rely on binary packages (mac and windows users without compilers installed), they too need the packages to be rebuilt against the new Rcpp, and RcppClassic has not been. My understanding of CRAN (which could be wrong, but this is how it works on Bioconductor) is that in the absence of a version bump, packages built during the daily builds do not propagate to the CRAN repositories. Therefore RcppClassic (and possibly other reverse dependencies of Rcpp) still need to be rebuilt, and cannot be used by Mac and Windows users unless they install from source and have the tools to do so, which defeats much of the purpose of having CRAN in the first place.

I would think that to be safe, every package that depends on Rcpp would have its version bumped. I did this on Bioconductor and am surprised it was not done on CRAN.

Dan