[Rcpp-devel] R CMD check --as-cran note on Depends/Imports versus LinkingTo

Krueger, Fabian fabian.krueger83 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:10:19 CEST 2014

Hi,

I am working on an R package that uses Rcpp and RcppArmadillo.
Everything works fine on my PC, and I am now trying to make the package
satisfy the formal standards for submitting to CRAN. Running "R CMD
check --as-cran <package.name>, I get the following note: "Package in
Depends/Imports which should probably only be in LinkingTo:
'RcppArmadillo'" [this is the only note, apart from the usual "new
submission" one].

Can anyone provide details on what this note means, and how to get rid
of it? What puzzles me is that producing a toy package via
"RcppArmadillo.package.skeleton()" yields the same note (see MWE below).

My search led me to
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.rcpp/6613/match=only+linkingto,
as well as some release notes for Rcpp related packages that mention
changes in NAMESPACE related issues. However, I had trouble seeing what
these mean for my problem.

I am using Windows 7 (+ Rtools, of course), R version 3.1.1,
Rcpp_0.11.2, as well as RcppArmadillo_0.4.400.0.

Thanks & best regards,
Fabian

MWE
--------
As a MWE (which I think/hope reproduces the issues that are relevant
here), consider the following toy example:

- Call RcppArmadillo.package.skeleton("xyz"), producing the new package
folder "xyz"
- Add formally correct documentation files to folder "xyz/man" (that is,
add entries for all exported functions and the package itself; delete
between-text comments produced by skeleton function).
- Add license information to file "xyz/DESCRIPTION": "License: GPL (>= 2)"

Running "R CMD check xyz" goes through without any notes or warnings.
Running "R CMD check --as-cran xyz" yields the exact same note as above
(plus the "new submission" note), but no other notes/warnings. [I did
not post the fake docu files for package "xyz" to avoid spamming - if
anyone wants them, pls let me know]