[Rcpp-devel] g++ flags

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 30 16:14:14 CEST 2014

In the very first implementation of the plugin, we actually used -std=c++0x
as few people had compilers new enough.

Using the environment variable is elegant and pushes the work back to R
"which knows" from its configure run. I like that a lot -- but it also makes
us depend on R 3.1.0 or later which we do not [yet] do otherwise.  This
change is probably not worth the inconvenience it imposes.

So I simply added new plugins for both older compilers (using c++0x) and
newer compilers (using c++1y for the upcoming c++14 revision and eventual new
standard c++17).  That way the responsibility is in the user's hand.  That
simple change is currently on my laptop; I plan to commit this this evening.

And users who have R 3.1.0 or newer can still set the env var USE_CXX1X and
let R take care of it.