[Rcpp-devel] Compiled/installed version mismatch

Xavier Robin xavier at cbs.dtu.dk
Sat Apr 5 18:18:15 CEST 2014

A user of my CRAN package (pROC) reported getting the following error:

> Error in delongPlacementsCpp(roc) :
>
>   function 'enterRNGScope' not provided by package 'Rcpp'

(delongPlacementsCpp is a function of my package that does *not* use the
runif sugar.)

He was using a slightly older version of Rcpp (0.10.6), and it seems
that upgrading to 0.11.1 fixed the problem.
However, this function works perfectly fine with Rcpp 0.10.6...
Apparently (and I was able to reproduce this), the reason he got this
error is because he had installed a binary version (he is in a Windows
environment) of my package that was compiled with Rcpp 0.11.*. As he
already had a compatible version Rcpp installed (0.10.6), it didn't get
updated. And he ended up having a version mismatch...

So my question is: how can I avoid this problem in the future?

Right now I'm going to push an update that will require Rcpp 0.11.1, but
it doesn't feel quite right... 0.10.6 is working perfectly fine after
all! And what happens when Rcpp 0.12.0 is released? Do I need to push an
update again just in case?
Is there any way to enforce that the installed version of Rcpp matches
the version that was present at compile time? Or more generally, what is
the recommended way to deal with this?

Best wishes,
Xavier