[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen not compiling under Solaris 10 INTEL

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 30 22:56:52 CEST 2013

On 30 September 2013 at 16:46, Sul, Young L wrote:
| I know that from http://cran.fhcrc.org/web/checks/check_results_RcppEigen.html
| RcppEigen isn?t compilable until Solaris 10 yet. I?m wondering if anyone has a
| sense if this will be fixed in the future?

It's tricky:

  -- packages Rcpp${FOO} fail for various values of ${FOO} also because Rcpp
     itself may not build (and in this particular case solaris-x86 seems to
     pass for Rcpp (Yay!) but solaris-sparc still fails (booh) so here it is
     indeed an RcppEigen issue)

  -- none of the core member of the Rcpp group has access to either Solaris
     variant (though as I recall Martyn Plummer has a solaris x86 and
     provided Romain access to this in the past)

  -- so we cannot fix Rcpp, nor can we fix packages building on top of Rcpp

  -- and as "we" don't use these machine, fixes are not of high priority (but
     if someone could provide funding, Romain may be willing to tackle this
     but you'd have to ask him)

However, we have always accepted patches for this.

With RcppEigen, the added difficulty is that the listed maintainer is no
longer all that active around R.

So that is an open spot -- if someone ambitious enough to tackle this would
step forward and adopt RcppEigen, we'd all appreciate it.