[Rcpp-devel] long long

Smith, Dale (Norcross) Dale.Smith at Fiserv.com
Fri Sep 20 14:47:03 CEST 2013

I agree with Romain's approach, which I was going to send later today:

" After reading this thread and others, I would tentatively suggest maintaining a C++11 compliant version on r-forge for those who need it. I do recognize this is additional work, but may be worth the effort. A case can be made here that CRAN, which is not allowed to change compilers, may develop a conflict with Rcpp and its growing user community."

Dale Smith, Ph.D.
Senior Financial Quantitative Analyst
Financial & Risk Management Solutions
Fiserv
Office: 678-375-5315
www.fiserv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: rcpp-devel-bounces at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at [mailto:rcpp-devel-bounces at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at] On Behalf Of romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:41 AM
To: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Cc: rcpp-devel at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at
Subject: Re: [Rcpp-devel] long long

Le 2013-09-20 14:24, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
> Just to bring closure to this thread: Per Section 1.7 of the "Writing
> R Extensions" manual, the 'C++98' standard, without any C99
> extensions, is prescribed by CRAN.

That is not the way I read it. It says to use the tools given by the compiler to find potential problems.
Fine. Done that. Identified the portability problem, dealing with it with conditional compilation. Prooving it. Not good enough ?

As people might have seen on other channels (twitter). I'm forking Rcpp into Rcpp11. This will be a version that enforces C++11.

I'm not expecting to be able to distribute Rcpp11 on CRAN, but Dirk probably will keep maintaining Rcpp.
I'll have to figure out where and how to distribute Rcpp11. It should not be too hard to come up with a repository that complies with install.packages.

CRAN is an amazing resource and a huge part of the success of R. Rcpp11 will need a different repo, so be it. Maybe in the long run, I'll be able to show that it was worth experimenting on C++11, maybe not. I'm just moving away from this problem.

Romain

PS: I'm still interested in some constructive discussion about the original question.