[Rcpp-devel] long long

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 19 19:14:16 CEST 2013

On 19 September 2013 at 17:54, Romain Francois wrote:
| > That's novel and could work.  May need testing.  May also need to be checked
| > against just using -std=c++11 / -std=c++0x which give us long long rightaway.
|
| That just works. This is just a typedef.

Nope. See my follow-up.

| > Also note that Murray got a similar trick into RProtoBuf, albeit at the cost
| > of configure test (by finding an M4 macros which determines whether the
| > compiler can in fact do c++11, and if so, turns it on).
|
| Might not be cran proof right. Last time I checked, we were not allowed
| to use std=c++11 which is the gcc way of using C++ 11.

Well have a look at what he does in configure for RProtoBuf:

  # If we can support std=c++0x we should pass flags to do so (this will
  # enable better int64 support) but we shouldn't cause the build to
  # fail if we can't do this.
  AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X

which uses an m4 macro he borrowed from somewhere else.

| It does not mean however that I'm not welcoming comments. In particular,
| I've sent a private mail to Murray asking for his thoughts.

He reads this list too. No read to rush.