[Rcpp-devel] Problems getting RInside to work on OS X

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 27 15:08:15 CET 2013

On 27 October 2013 at 10:49, Simon Zehnder wrote:
| I wonder though, why it uses in Clays case the llvm-g++-4.2 even if it is not there anymore?

That has been explained a number of times, eg in the different SO question
(eg even the one ref'ed by JJ is a duplicate). An earlier one is

   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19503995/error-when-with-xcode-5-0-and-rcpp-command-line-tools-are-installed

In short, R "writes down" the values of CC, CXX, CFLAGS, ..  seen at _its_
compile time and uses it each time R CMD ... is invoked.

That works, as on most sane operating systems you assume that 'cc' or 'gcc'
will always point to a working compiler.  OS X is, ahem, different.  And so
it breaks, at least until the default R build catches up with the tool chain.

Really a question for r-sig-mac and the OS X users here to sort out.