[Rcpp-devel] Local .h files and Rcpp attributes

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 19 21:56:51 CEST 2013

On 19 October 2013 at 15:40, JJ Allaire wrote:

|     Maybe you could follow the example of Rcpp.package.skeleton() and just drop
|     an empty yet amply commented file there?  By "being there" users have a
|     better chance of stumbling over it :)
|

| Since this would involve creating a new directory (inst/include) perhaps I
| could instead emit comments at the top of RcppExports.cpp explaining the
| mechanism?

True, but maybe I'd still go for it.  inst/include/ is after all the place
via which a any package foo can provide its headers to another package bar
which simply adds 'LinkingTo: foo'.

Currently, the 'cost' of attributes is one extra RcppExports.R, one
RcppExports.cpp and we'd add a new (small, few lines with comments) header
file in a new directory.  Seems fair to me -- but entirely your call.

Restraint in not cluttering user systems is also a good thing. We'd be back
to the need for more/better documentation though.