[Rcpp-devel] question re: LdFlags, RcppLdFlags

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 10 00:56:16 CEST 2013

Kevin,

On 9 October 2013 at 15:37, Kevin Ushey wrote:
| For what it's worth, this may be unnecessary for now. There are packages on
| CRAN that pass with no notes AFAICS, using Rcpp:::LdFlags in Makevars. Use of
| Rcpp:::LdFlags() within Makevars does not trigger any explicit notes for me in
| the current R-devel on any of my packages, although a CRAN maintainer who
| inspected Makevars might still dislike such use -- I am not sure. I haven't
| encountered such a situation yet as I haven't tried submitting any new packages
| recently. I'm not sure if any package maintainers have related that specific
| frustration off-list. RcppLdFlags being exported was, in fact, necessary for
| some other packages that were constructing their Makevars programmatically
| through package R code.
|
| In case it's ultimately unnecessary -- sorry for wasting your time on this;
| LdFlags can likely remain un-exported.

Maybe.  But to move in either direction we'd need to go from 'maybe' and
'might' and 'coulda/shoulda' to something with more certainty.

The warnings certainly hit at some point. But as I recall CRAN / R Core also
rolled some parts of the ':::' testing back.  I also recall that they talked
about some extra nonsense of allowing ':::' between packages with the same
maintainer (which efffectively prevents from testing on my package, sigh)

Maybe someone could volunteer and tests a few cases?

In any event there is no immediate release ... so we can alter NAMESPACE for
Rcpp as well a few more times til we feel it is ready and good.