[Rcpp-devel] question re: LdFlags, RcppLdFlags

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Oct 9 23:13:50 CEST 2013

Le 09/10/13 03:41, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> On 8 October 2013 at 16:53, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | | This is also what's done in e.g. Rcpp.package.skeleton. However, following the
> | | new guidelines from CRAN, RcppLdFlags was exported, but not LdFlags. I wonder
> |
> | Darn.  Error on my part.  It should have been LdFlags.  That was the intent.
> | Oh well.
>
> Minor correction: Seems we need both. So back to export RcppLdFlags(), but
> thanks to Kevin also exporting LdFlags().  Done in svn rev4566.
>
> Dirk

One good thing about the previous system was that other packages could
follow the same convention and also have a hidden LdFlags function
giving information about what is required to link against it.

I do it, e.g. on the dplyrRcpp package.

Now that it is exported, I get this when I load dplyrRcpp which is
annoying:

L'objet suivant est masqué from ‘package:Rcpp’:

     LdFlags

What would be the recommendation for such third party packages that also
ship a library.

Was it really a problem that we called LdFlags with :::, did R CMD check
look for it in Makevars and Makevars.win ?

It is not really a problem for me, I can eliminate the need for a
library in dplyrRcpp.

Would it perhaps make sense to think about standard ways for R packages
to register what they need. We have a system like this for inline
plugins, maybe it would be interesting to move this up in R and let
packages communicate in some way (perhaps in DESCRIPTION) what they need.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast