[Rcpp-devel] How to make an R package that uses Boost.Thread, qualified to be published on CRAN or shared by the most

Jay Emerson jayemerson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 16:07:42 CET 2013

Simon,

If Boost.Thread is only headers, it would be a candidate to include in
package BH.  This would greatly simplify life for you and the users of your
package.

Jay

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Simon <simonqijiezhao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I made an R package that used the C++ library Boost.Thread (
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/doc/html/thread.html) for
> multithreading.  Previously, I have posted a question at stackoverflow (
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19651954/is-it-possible-to-build-an-r-package-which-use-rcpp-and-boost-thread-on-http),
> but now my questions becomes:
>
> 1) if I want to upload my package onto CRAN, what am I supposed to do with
> Boost.Thread?
>
> Or
>
> 2) I want to share my package with others, Must it be submitted to CRAN? I
> am not an expert, but I am trying to make my package to be used by the
> most, so I encounter these problem.
>
> 3) Boost is a third party library, and the separately-compiled library
> Boost.Thread is used by my package.  To make a package stand-alone, the
> best way I can imagine is to include the the library source files under my
> package's src directory.  What if I just publish my package, and tell users
> they should install Boost before their use of my package?  Initially, I
> just want to use what I know about to make an R package that everyone can
> use, however, I found that to make the most to use my package, there are a
> lot to consider, though under Ubuntu, that's a lot easier, an apt-get
> command will install the Boost.  The question on
> stackoverflow (
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19651954/is-it-possible-to-build-an-r-package-which-use-rcpp-and-boost-thread-on-http)
> is about Windows, from the answer I am not going to struggle to provide
> support for Windows, at least now I suppose.  Is it a common practice for
> the user themselves to install a third party library like Boost.Thread?
>

> Best regards,
> Simon

John W. Emerson (Jay)
Associate Professor of Statistics, Adjunct, and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Statistics
Yale University
http://www.stat.yale.edu/~jay