[Rcpp-devel] sourceCpp issue: code vs. file

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 23 03:41:52 CEST 2013

On 22 May 2013 at 17:59, JJ Allaire wrote:
| I also can build successfully on Ubuntu and OSX with the .cpp extension however
| the .cxx extension fails. I think the file extension is the likely culprit.

R governs the behaviour of R CMD <whatever> based on the extension.

The .cxx form was /never/ supported by R as far as I know.

And previously, I had not noticed that Rodney had used this extension; I had
repeatedly suggested he create smaller working examples. I will also note
that ALL files in the Rcpp Gallery are .Rmd (for markdown) or .cpp.  That is
just the way it is -- if you want another extension you may have to create
your own build system.  R hands us a very powerful platform, but asks us to
play by its rules.