[Rcpp-devel] problems with rInside in Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 30 16:42:34 CET 2013

[ I am going to chop chunks of this mail off as it gets too long ... ]

On 30 March 2013 at 12:17, Walter Mascarenhas wrote:
|   I did not build libRInside.a, It was build by apt-get or some other tool
| which
| called R CMD INSTALL or something like it in my behalf. Again, I do believe
| other Ubuntu users may have the same problem.

I doubt that you got it from Ubuntu or Debian. I have been maintaining
packages for Debian since 1995, and covered R related packages including R
itself since the late 1990s. I'd think I'd know.

A formal search for the library via packages.debian.org brings up nothing:
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=%2Fusr%2Flib%2FR%2Fsite-library%2FRInside%2Flib%2FlibRInside.a&mode=path&suite=unstable&arch=any
Dito via apt-cache search on my Ubuntu (12.10) machine.  You may have gotten
it from some non-official source, maybe even Michael's PPA --- but you have
to understand that that alone makes it NON-STANDARD and I have been trying to
explain to you over what must by now be 5 emails that you are better off
minimizing variability.

It works for me. I have no prebuilt RInside.  Hint: Maybe remove yours.

If in doubt install RInside from source.

| In other words, the files that you do not distribute are created once
| we follow your suggestion.

It doesn't matter. We build the .a because that is what R does, and on some
platforms it is needed. No use to suppress.

The one that is used is the .so. Just trust me on that.

| Trying to continue to follow your suggestion, I cannot cd to
| pkg/inst/examples/qt/ as you because there is no

Because I work from (SVN) source, you don't. Maybe you should untar the
source tar.gz somewhere and work from it.

In the grand scheme does not matter.

| such folder pkg in my machine after I follow the steps you suggest (R CMD...)
| Instead, I can cd to folder  examples/qt/ and follow the next step
| you suggest

Make sure you work in a directory you have write access. If you naively did a

     cd /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/qt

then you usually DO NOT. Copy to /tmp, or your $HOME, or somewhere.

| make clean && qmake && make
|
| but it does not work because
|
| make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.

Well, doh.

| I did then what most qt users would do, i.e. open the .pro file
| in qtcreator. By doing that I get compilation errors due to my
| using of qt 5.0.1 and are easily fixed, but I still have the

I told you several times now that my code is UNTESTED AGAINST Qt 5
and that you should use libqt4 on your Ubuntu system -- unless you know what
you are doing.

Which, seemingly, you don't.

I have other stuff to do (as eg re-building 100 or so r-cran-* packages for
the upcoming R 3.0.0 release) so I should really stop here.

| linking problem, which I find hard to be caused by the fact that
| I am using qt 5.0,1, specially because it also happens in
| a simpler project that does not use qt at all.
|
| In resume, by following the steps you suggest I get to a point in
|  which neither me nor you know what is happening and I am

Wrong.

I happen to think that I know what I am doing with a piece of software I
co-designed and wrote. It even works for me, and I showed you how to do it.

You insist on doing it your way -- which is perfectly fine.

But please understand that you then cannot call repeatedly for help.

| trying to figure it out. I am not trying to do anything different
| or fancy. I am just trying to make things work, and if you
| could suggest effective ways to achieve this goal I would
| follow them as carefully as I can.

I already have.  Look at the last email.

Dirk

| root at linux:/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside# ls
| DESCRIPTION  examples  help  html  include  INDEX  lib    libs
| Meta  NAMESPACE  NEWS.Rd    R  RInside_0.2.10.tar.gz  THANKS

PS  Why do you keep another source copy in the install directory?