[Rcpp-devel] extend to cover exporting non-reference S4 objects?

Greg Minshall minshall at umich.edu
Fri Mar 8 04:16:51 CET 2013

hi.  i'm having a grand time with Rcpp.  (though it's amazing how
annoying procedural+non-REPL languages have become in the last decade
that i've ignored them! ;-)

in my application, some of my classes are a good fit for reference
classes (large arrays).  however, some of my classes are better as
pass-by-value.

currently i implement the pass-by-value classes as S4 objects on the R
side, and C++ classes on the C++ side, the two sharing the same class
name, representation, and methods.  this works very well, but the
inevitable inconsistencies (as the program "evolves") are annoying.

are there any thoughts to allow non-reference classes to be shared
between C++ and R?  i would find that a Nice Addition.

(apologies if this has been discussed on the e-mail list; i searched,
but nothing jumped out at me.)

cheers, Greg