[Rcpp-devel] Using CMakeLists.txt

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 5 21:09:56 CET 2013

On 5 March 2013 at 12:21, Etienne B. Racine wrote:
| I'd like to use a PCL algorithm inside R and they provide a CMakeLists.txt for
| configuration. I haven't found how to directly use the CMakeLists.txt in
| building R package, however when I run `make .` form src, I can generate a
| Makefile  that nearly works with `R CMD INSTALL --no-multiarch`.

Read up a little on CMake. It is at the end of the "just another" frontend /
make replacement.  If you turn on verbose mode, you should be able to see all
g++ invocations.

Which is all you need to mimic in Makevars.

| It does compile correctly my .cpp, however I get
| `Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :  shared object
| ‘my_package.so’ not found`
|
| Here's the CMakeFileLists.txt :
| ```
| cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8 FATAL_ERROR)
|
| find_package(PCL 1.6 REQUIRED)
|
| set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Wno-deprecated-declarations")
|
| include_directories(${PCL_INCLUDE_DIRS})
| link_directories(${PCL_LIBRARY_DIRS})
| add_definitions(${PCL_DEFINITIONS})
|
| add_executable (segmentation segmentation.cpp)
| target_link_libraries (segmentation ${PCL_LIBRARIES})
| ```
| I've seen that using a makefile wasn't the best practice [1] (I should move it
| to makevars). Since my CMakeFileLists is apparently simple (e.g. compared to
| RInside examples), I guess I could move it to makevars however I'm not familiar
| with cmake nor makevars, so I was wondering if there was documentation about
| translating from one to the other. However I'm absolutely not sure this is the
| real problem (using the CMakeLists.txt).

Writing Makefile code is yet another little skill one has to acquire on the
side once projects get larger.  There is a lot of support though, as there
are plenty of examples.

Nothing really Rcpp-specific here.

Dirk