[Rcpp-devel] macros RCPP_FUNCTION_...,

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Jun 19 16:07:50 CEST 2013

Le 19/06/13 15:50, Hadley Wickham a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 June 2013 at 15:12, Romain Francois wrote:
>> | So:
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.4 nothing changes. people can still enjoy
>> | using this feature, if anyone is.
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.5 the feature is still there, but with extra
>> | annoying warnings
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.6 the feature is gone.
>> |
>> | Considering we release now approximately quarterly, this leaves a period
>> | between 6 and 9 months before the feature is gone.
>>
>> The period between a (released) announcement and the removal will not be less
>> than 12 months.
>
> For API breaking changes, I think it's good practice to increment a
> bigger version number - so I think you should remove it until 0.11.0.

We were waiting for the book release to bump up to 1.0.0 right ?
Rcpp is mature enough now to deserve a 1.0.0.

> It's also not like it's impossible to get old versions from Rcpp for
> CRAN, so if someone's code does break they do already have recourse.
>
> Hadley

Definitely. And if they want to host 6600 lines of auto generated code
in their package, they can just pick it up from an older version.

Anyway. I'm fine with the compromise of letting these go with the first
release that comes after a year after 0.10.4 is released. Just feels
like a lot of bureaucracy for not much.

I think this process would be perfect if we were to do something radical
with the api. For example, factor out sugar in its own package (I'm not
saying it is planned, but this is a self contained entity that could
very well have an existence of its own and benefit from shorter release
cycles, etc ...).

But for something like this, removing code that is very unlikely used, I
would have liked us to be more reactive. And I want a pony.

Overall it is good to have balance in a team. So no issue.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast

R Graph Gallery: http://gallery.r-enthusiasts.com