[Rcpp-devel] macros RCPP_FUNCTION_...,

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Jun 19 15:54:05 CEST 2013

Le 19/06/13 15:49, Romain Francois a écrit :
> Le 19/06/13 15:41, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
>>
>> On 19 June 2013 at 15:12, Romain Francois wrote:
>> | So:
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.4 nothing changes. people can still enjoy
>> | using this feature, if anyone is.
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.5 the feature is still there, but with
>> extra
>> | annoying warnings
>> | - when we release Rcpp 0.10.6 the feature is gone.
>> |
>> | Considering we release now approximately quarterly, this leaves a
>> period
>> | between 6 and 9 months before the feature is gone.
>>
>> The period between a (released) announcement and the removal will not
>> be less
>> than 12 months.
>>
>> Dirk
>
> ok, fine. whatever works.

I've updated the wording to this:

       \item The set of macros \code{RCPP_FUNCTION_} etc ... from the
       \code{preprocessor_generated.h} file will be deprecated in the
next version
       of \code{Rcpp}, i.e they will still be available but will
generate some
       warning in addition to their expected behavior.

       In the first release 12 months after now, the macros will be removed
       from \code{Rcpp}.

       Users of these macros (if any) should start replacing them
       with more up to date code, such as using attributes or modules.
     }

Feel free to change it if this does not suit you.

This just makes it slightly more difficult to do, because with my
proposed approach, I could just have made the changes right after each
release. But I'll comply with those requirements.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast

R Graph Gallery: http://gallery.r-enthusiasts.com