[Rcpp-devel] RCOM

Silkworth,David J. SILKWODJ at airproducts.com
Tue Jun 18 17:07:50 CEST 2013

I use RCOM to connect my R gui to Excel on Windows for development purposes (I know this makes Dirk laugh).  Trying to compile C++ using other than gcc would not work, so there would be no point in attempting to code in MSVC++ for instance and expect Rcpp to work.  If you wanted to bring R into a C++ environment, you would explore Rinside, still compiling only with gcc.  But as Darren suggests if you are comfortable with C++ language and R interface the way to go is to build Rcpp functions that R acts on with high performance.  Then I suppose yes you could call on R to communicate with a separate MSVC++ program using RCOM, but the two separate processes can only exchange data.

Also, as I understand it RCOM is still limited to 32-bits on Windows. So, even if you accomplished the inter process communication suggested, presently you are limited to 32-bit Windows and 32-bit R, and I am unsure of R-3.0 interface.   There is an RCOM .net in works, but I am not sure of schedule.